Importance of data quality in course evaluations
Collecting high-quality data offers a clear and reliable depiction of student thoughts and input, whereas low-quality data might result in inaccurate conclusions and decision-making. As a result, instructors may be able to enhance their teaching methods, materials, and overall student happiness. It is clear that data quality has a high impact on the effectiveness of course evaluation surveys:
- Validity of Results: Accurate data ensures that the results of the course evaluation are valid and trustworthy. If the data is incorrect or unreliable, it can result in incorrect conclusions and decisions based on the evaluation.
- Improved Feedback: Accurate data provides a more detailed and accurate picture of the student experience, allowing for more specific and actionable feedback to be gathered. This feedback can then be used to inform course improvement efforts, course design, teaching methods, and assessment strategies. This information can be used to identify strengths and weaknesses in the course and make changes to improve the learning experience.
- Increased Student Engagement: Accurate data can also help to increase student engagement in the course evaluation process. If students know that their feedback will be taken seriously and used to inform course improvement efforts, they are more likely to provide honest and meaningful feedback.
Facilitate better analytics of Qualtrics course evaluations with Canvas data
Making Qualtrics surveys part of the Canvas learning environment allows you to collect enriched data already existing in Canvas through embedded data fields. By embedding data such as student, course or enrollment information you collect more accurate data as students no longer need to manually fill it out. Such automation improves the quality of your data for report or analysis purposes and as a result, also paints a complete and accurate picture of the student experience.
A few examples of how Canvas data can be used to improve your course evaluation surveys:
- Personalize Qualtrics surveys and track individual responses by using embedded fields for student information such as a student name, email address, or any other unique identifier
- Segment and analyze results by specific courses and terms by embedding course information such as course name, code and term
- Analyze student participation by embedding enrollment information such as student enrollment status, course role, and start and end dates
- Assess students’ performance and their feedback by embedding different assignment information such as grades, scores on assignments, quizzes, or exams
- Analyze student engagement by embedding attendance data such as attendance records, participation in discussions
Want to get more out of your Qualtrics surveys and Canvas?
We’ve worked with many different educational institutions to implement and help them adopt Qualtrics LTI for their centralized survey distribution. From Ivy League universities such as Wharton and Yale to colleges and RTOs.
Curious to learn more? Schedule a virtual meeting with our team for a demo of the LTI app and free access to a sandbox environment where you can experience the app by yourself.